Packing and Laundry Strategies
This page discusses how to plan your wardrobe taking into account some
strategies for cleaning. See also the Frequently Asked Questions on
There are several alternatives to consider:
- Pack 12 complete outfits - not recommended
- Plan on washing / drying clothes in your room
- Use hotel services
- Use local laundry / cleaning services
- Wear the same clothes for 13 days without cleaning - please, no!
Below is a description of our trip in terms relating to laundry strategies:
- Sun Apr 12 - travel day: one outfit for the 12th and the 13th, no chance to change!
- Mon Apr 13 - travel day: one outfit for the 12th and the 13th, no chance to change!
- Tue Apr 14 - train to Takayama; experience matsuri
- Wed Apr 15 - Takayama; experience matsuri; could use washer/dryer
- Thu Apr 16 - Takayama: meet with mayor, bus to Shirakawa-go, visit Japanese homes,
- Fri Apr 17 - trains to Nagoya and Kyoto; sight seeing
- Sat Apr 18 - Kyoto
- Sun Apr 19 - train to Hakone; sight seeing
- Mon Apr 20 - morning sight seeing; afternoon train to Tokyo; could use washer/dryer
- Tue Apr 21 - Tokyo sight seeing
- Wed Apr 22 - Tokyo sight seeing
- Thu Apr 23 - return home; long day; one outfit
The Open Heart Pension in Takayama has washer / drier you can use for free while staying there.
Our hotels in Kyoto, Hakone, and Tokyo also provide laundry services (sample price: ¥ 525 (about $4.50) for a
casual shirt such as a polo shirt).
The hotel in Tokyo has washer / driers you can use (wash: ¥ 300; dry: ¥ 200; soap: ¥ 100)!
So keep these points in mind and decide on the best strategy for your needs. Hope this helps.