Calling to, from, and within Japan
First, we hope you will feel that you can forget about your cares and woes
back home while you are on this adventure. At the same time, we recognize
you may have valid reasons for at least being accessible if necessary.
So here is some information about phones in Japan.
First and foremost, you should know: your cell phone probably won't
work in Japan.
On the other hand, there are more options than ever before, and some
may be of use to you.
- Charlene will be renting a cell phone in Japan, and we will give
out this number to everyone
- If you would like to rent your own cell phone, we can help you find
- You will have phone numbers for all hotels, although international calls
through hotels tend to be very expensive
- You can purchase pre-paid phone cards in Japan that will work from
international phones found in most hotels and many other locations
- Certain cell phones ("world phones") may work in Japan - check with
your carrier and let us know
- Your carrier may have an option to switch to that includes international
calling at a reduced rate, and you can turn this feature on before
you leave and off when you return, online
- Certain smart phones (iPhone, Blackberry, etc.) may work in Japan -
again, check with your service provider and let us know what you