Prices and options
Our current pricing figures are below; until we actually purchase
all the parts of the trip, prices are subject to change. So these
prices are a best estimate.
For this trip, with travelers coming from multiple starting points and some
taking the optional front end extension, one size does not fit all. Still,
the prices listed here should be accurate for most travelers.
[Kanazawa,] Hiroshima, Kyoto, Takayama, Tokyo
Price: Land portion only: for core trip: $3,800; for front end Kanazawa option: add $700.
airfare on the suggested route to run around $1,200 - $2,500 per person.
Here's what's included for those on the core itinerary:
- 13 days and 12 nights in Japan
- Standard class (3 star) hotels or ryokans
- Stay in Open Heart Pension in Takayama
- Transportation to and from hotels
- Transportation between cities by bus or rail
- 7 day JR (Japan Rail) pass (14 day JR pass for those on the Kanazawa extension)
- A SUICA card or PASMO card
for local transportation in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Hiroshima
- At least four segments on shinkansen (bullet trains)
- Admissions to various venues (museums, temples, etc.)
- Most breakfasts, and nine dinners, most lunches
- Membership in and donation to Denver Takayama Sister City Committee (tax deductible)
Note that emergency medical evacuation is included in the trip package!
(Still, you may want to consider an inexpensive short term travel medical
- Creation and maintenance of this website as an information source and communication tool
- Information about the trip (Prices, Itinerary)
- Information about the travelers
- Information about each destination
- Discussions of issues that concern trip members
- Tips and tools (currency conversion, weather, time zones, etc.)
- Information about other resources, either on the web or locally
available (public library, personal libraries of trip members, etc.)
- Services of two tour escorts, at least one of which is a Japanese speaker
- Interface with travel agent to coordinate itinerary requirements
and negotiate best prices comensurate with desired quality
- Run one or two meetings to discuss detailed tailored itineraries and
provide language and cultural background
- Provide information about local (Denver area) events that may be of interest
to members of the trip
- Spearhead promotion of trip
- Provide focal point for completing paperwork
- Lead group through all connections from original departure through final return
- Provide support (communication, direction, other assitance) throughout the trip
- Provide focal point for coordinating exchange of digital pictures in a common trip
digital photo album
In addition, for those who take the optional front end tour:
- Three additional nights and four additional days in Japan
- Lodging and meals in Kanazawa
- Admission to the Kenrokuen Garden, weather and time permitting
Note: there is no tipping in Japan
- Single supplement (if you don't want to share a hotel room) is additional: $1,450 for the core
trip, $1,825 for the core + Kanazawa extension
- Additional trip extensions at front or back: contact our travel agent
- Air cabin upgrade (fly on same flights but business class - if available):
check with your carrier or our travel agent
- Latest date to sign up for trip: Monday, April 16 - but sooner is better. We
expect this trip to fill quickly.
- Note: There is a 4% surcharge on payments made using credit card
- Payments should be made by checks made out to "DSCI" with a memo field of
"2018 Essential Japan"
- You can bring payments to any group orientation session or mail to:
2650 E. 40th Ave.
Denver, CO 80205
- 50% deposit on or before April 27
- Balance due on or before May 11
- ** Final payment of airfare cost and any single supplement cost on or before May 18.
** - if you are coming from outside Colorado, or arranging
your own air travel, we modify this, of course, to reflect your reality
- Cancellation up to 30 days before departure date: land portion fully refundable
- Cancellation 30 days or less before departure, only $300 is refundable